StarTribune.com 2009 MinnEscapes Travel Photo Contest
1. No Purchase Necessary. The StarTribune.com 2009 MinnEscapes Travel Photo Contest (“Contest”) is sponsored by The Star Tribune Company (“Sponsor”), located at 425 Portland Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55488 (“Sponsor's Address”). Prizes are provided by The Star Tribune Company, Caribou Highlands Lodge, and the Minnesota Historical Society (each, a “Participating Company”). No purchase is necessary to enter or to win.
2. Contest Entry Period. The “Contest Entry Period” begins at 10:00 a.m. CST on Monday, June 22, 2009, and ends at 12:00 p.m. (Noon) CST on Friday, July 10, 2009 (the “Entry Deadline”) OR until submissions reach a limit of 1,000 photos, whichever comes first
3. How to Enter. To enter, go to startribune.com/contests during the Contest Entry Period and follow the instructions to submit your entry information, including your Minnesota Travel photo (“Photo”). All entries must be submitted online. Mailed or hard copy entries will not be accepted. To be eligible, all entries (including Photo submissions) must be received by the Entry Deadline and before submissions reach a limit of 1,000 photos. In addition, the contestant (sometimes referred to herein as an “entrant”) must comply with the following submission guidelines (the "Photo Submission Guidelines"):
- Each contestant may submit no more than one Photo;
- Each Photo may only be entered one time;
- Photo must depict a location within the state of Minnesota;
- Entrant must identify the Minnesota location in the submission form;
- At least one person must appear in Photo;
- One Photo per family;
- Must be at least 18 years old to enter and have written permission of others depicted in the photo;
- Photo must be in good taste.
All Photos (including related captions) submitted must adhere to StarTribune.com standard terms and conditions for user-generated content. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Photo for any reason. All entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for lost, illegible, incomplete, damaged, late or misdirected entries, all of which will be void.
4. Submissions. By entering the Contest and submitting a Photo to Sponsor, (A) each entrant thereby represents (i) that the entrant is the copyright owner of the Photo or has written permission from the copyright owner to enter the Photo in this Contest and to grant to Sponsor all rights necessary to use the Photo in the Contest, (ii) that the entrant has obtained from anyone identified or depicted in the Photo (or the parent or guardian of any child identified or depicted) all permission necessary to grant the Sponsor the foregoing license; and (iii) that the Photo complies with all of the Photo Submission Guidelines; and (B) each entrant thereby grants to Sponsor an irrevocable, royalty-free license to publish, republish, distribute and copy the Photo (and to sublicense the Minnesota Historical Society to publish, republish, distribute and copy the Photo) an unlimited number of times in any print, electronic or other medium, including but not limited to publication in any Minnesota Historical Society promotional materials.
5. Voting by Users. Eligible Photos properly entered in the Contest during the Contest Entry Period will be displayed on StarTribune.com, and users of StarTribune.com (including Contest entrants and other users) will have an opportunity to vote for their favorite Photo. Each Photo will be randomly assigned to one of five rounds for voting.
6. Selection of Winners. From approximately July 13 to July 18, 2009, the Contest judges (using a series of up to 5 consecutive rounds, each featuring up to 200 of the up to 1,000 eligible Photos entered in the Contest by the Entry Deadline, divided into rounds via random selection) will select the top 50 Photos (10 from each round) through a combination of popular user vote and panel of Contest judges (weighted as follows: (A) popular user vote (45%); and (B) panel of Contest judges (55%) (the “Standard Contest Weighting”). Contest judges will judge Photos on the basis of overall appeal of the photo and the Minnesota location or landmark depicted in the Photo. From approximately July 20 to July 24, 2009, the top 10 Photos from the pool of the top 50 Photos will be determined via a combination of popular user vote and Contest judges, weighted via Standard Contest Weighting. From approximately July 27 to July 31, 2009, one (1) first place winner and four (4) runners-up from the top 10 Photos will be selected through a combination of popular user vote and Contest judges, weighted via Standard Contest Weighting. Winners will be notified by phone or email on or about Monday, August 3, 2009.
Contest judges shall be selected by Sponsor in Sponsor's sole discretion. The decisions of the Contest judges regarding entries and winners shall be final.
7. Prizes. First-Place Prize. One (1) first-place winner will receive the First-Place Prize, which will consist of a Visa Gift Card valued at a maximum of $1,000.00, a Caribou Highlands Lodge four-night getaway, valued at a maximum of $1,000.00 (see Resort Terms and Conditions, below), and a Minnesota Historical Society "Household Plus" membership, entitling the household family to bring two non-member guests to any visit during the membership year. Members enjoy free regular admission to all 20+ MHS sites and museums, plus exclusive publications and discounts on museum purchases, services and more. Membership runs August 1, 2009 to August 31, 2010, valued at a maximum of $95.00. The first-place winner’s winning Photo will also be published on Star Tribune.com and in the Star Tribune newspaper. Second-Place Prizes. Each of the four (4) contestants from the top 10 voted as runners-up to the first-place winner will be a second-place winner, and will receive a Second-Place Prize consisting of a $100.00 Visa Gift Card and a family four-pack of tickets good for admission to any Minnesota Historical Society's 20+ historic sites or museums, valued at a maximum of $40.00. Total value of all prizes: approximately $2,655.00. Each winner accepts responsibility for compliance with any and all applicable federal, state and local laws pertaining to use and acceptance of each prize.
If Sponsor cannot find an eligible winner for a given prize, that prize will not be awarded.
The following terms and conditions ("Resort Terms and Conditions") apply to that portion of the First Place Prize consisting of the Caribou Highlands getaway: Grand Prize winner will be presented with a certificate to redeem for a 4-night stay at Caribou Highlands Lodge. The certificate is valid only at Caribou Highlands Lodge and must be used by the expiration date. A reservation is based on availability and cannot be made during any holiday period as defined in the resort rate sheet OR if anticipated resort occupancy is 85% or greater. Certificate is not redeemable for cash.
8. Claiming Prizes. To claim the prize, the winner must respond by email or phone within four (4) business days of prize notification, at the phone number designated. Within 10 days of claiming prize, potential winners must provide appropriate photo identification (e.g., passport or driver's license) and must fill out such eligibility declarations, publicity releases, and prize acceptance documentation as Sponsor shall provide; failure to timely claim prize in such manner shall result in forfeiture of prize. All federal, state and local taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winner. Prizes may not be substituted and are not refundable, transferable or redeemable for cash, except at the sole discretion of Sponsor.
9. Eligibility. This Contest is open to legal residents of Minnesota or Wisconsin who are 18 years of age or older. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. This offer is void where prohibited or restricted. Employees of The Star Tribune Company, any companies owned by or affiliated with The Star Tribune Company, each Participating Company, the advertising and promotion agencies representing any of such companies, and members of those employees’ families are not eligible to enter or win. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to all the terms and conditions of these rules; agrees to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the Contest judges; and consents to the use of his/her name and other information for purposes of direct mail or similar solicitations. Each winner accepting a prize consents to the use of his/her name and/or likeness and any submitted Photo for advertising, trade and promotional purposes without further compensation, except where prohibited by law. Each entrant waives the right to assert, as a cost of winning any prize, any and all costs of verification and redemption or travel to redeem a prize and any liability that might arise from redeeming or seeking to redeem a prize. Each entrant releases each of the following from any and all liability with respect to or arising out of the acceptance, use, misuse or possession of any prize and/or the loss or misdirection of any prize: Sponsor and each Participating Company; their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, franchises, advertising and promotional agencies; and their respective officers, directors and employees. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, amend and/or revoke this Contest at any time due to printing errors or other mistakes.
10. UPick’em: The Contest and all of the related pages, contents and code are copyright, UPICKEM, Inc., and/or The Star Tribune Company. Copying or unauthorized use of any copyrighted materials, trademarks or any other intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited. Each winner, by acceptance of the prize, agrees to release the Sponsor, all Participating Companies, and their respective parent and subsidiary companies, and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, shareholders, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, and advertising agencies from all liability, claims, or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages, or losses to persons and property which may be sustained in connection with the receipt, ownership, or use of the prize. UPICKEM and Sponsor are not responsible for Internet crashes or slowdowns caused by network congestion, viruses, sabotage, satellite failures, phone line failures, electrical outages, natural disasters or acts of man or God. This contest is not intended for gambling. If it is determined that a contestant is using the contest for gambling purposes the contestant will be disqualified and reported to authorities.